Slushies are a delicious and refreshing summertime drink! They’re easy to make at home, but if you haven’t ever made one before, it can be hard to know where to start. How much fruit should I use? How do I sweeten the slushie? How much water or ice cubes should be used? This article will answer all those questions and more as we walk through how to make different slushy recipes: Strawberry Limeade, Orange, Pineapple, and Watermelon Rose Granita.
Ways of Making Slushies at Home
Nothing is better than making slushies at home using a slushy machine, but if you can’t afford to buy one, there are still some ways of making delicious slushies at home.
- Using ice cubes and plastic bags
- Using a blender
- Using an ice cream maker
- Using a freezer
Here, we are going to show you how you can make different slushy recipes at home by using the above methods.
How to Make Strawberry Limeade Slush Using a Blender
The ingredients you need include:
- Fresh sliced strawberries – 3 cups
- Fresh lemon juice – ¼ cup
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- Ice – 2 cups
- Water – ¾ cup
Increase the quantity of the ingredients if you need to serve more people. Also, it depends on your taste.
If you don’t want to use sugar, you can add 2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup. Make sure to add more ice if you want your slushy to be on a thicker side or more water if you want it to be thinner.
- Take a blender and add sliced strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar to it.
- Turn on the machine to blend all the ingredients. Blend them until you get a smooth texture mixture. While blending, add water and ice cubes.
You can also put all the ingredients at once. But it is suggested to add the water first and then all the other ingredients.
- After blending, open the lid and taste the mixture and check its thickness. You have added lemon juice and sugar or honey, so there must be a balance between sweet and tart. If you need to add more sugar or lemon juice, add it. Also, add water if the end result is too thick or add ice if the slush is too thin.
- Blend them all again to get the desired output.
- Pour your strawberry slush into a glass and have it with a spoon. If required, garnish your glass with fresh pieces of strawberry and lime.
How to Make Orange Slush Using Ice Cubes and Plastic Bags
You will need the following ingredients:
- Fresh orange juice
- 2 plastic bags with a seal
- Take a plastic bag and pour orange juice into it.
- Next, take a second plastic bag and put the first bag filled with orange juice inside the second bag. Make sure the bag containing juice is completed closed or sealed.
Also, you need to take plastic bags of different sizes so that the second bag can easily accommodate the first bag.
- Add ice cubes into the outer bag (second bag). Then, add salt onto the ice cubes. Never try to overfill the bag because you will need to seal it and shake it later. Also, check the quantity of the salt, and it must be good enough.
- After adding the required ice and salt, seal the outer bag.
- Shake the bag well using both your hands for about 2 to 3 minutes. The orange juice inside the first bag will turn into slush.
- Open the outer bag, take out the inner bag, open it, and pour your slushy drink into the glass and enjoy.
How to Make Pineapple Slush Using an Ice Cream Maker
Gather the following ingredients:
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cold water – 4 cups
- Pineapple extract – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Food color (yellow) – 10 drops
- Pour 4 cups of water into a bowl and add 1 cup of sugar into it. Stir the water using a spoon to dissolve the sugar.
- Next, add 1 ½ teaspoon of pineapple extract into the solution.
- After adding the extract, add 10 drops of yellow food coloring.
- Mix both the ingredients well.
- Pour the solution into the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker.
- Turn on your ice cream maker and process the mixture for about 10 minutes. Then, turn off the machine and check whether the solution reaches the consistency of slush. If not, process the solution for another 5 to 10 minutes to get your homemade pineapple slush.
How to Make Watermelon Rose Granita Using a Freezer
The following ingredients will help you make watermelon rose granita.
- Cubed seedless watermelon – 4 cups
- Rose wine – 1 cup
- Fresh raspberries – 2 cups
- Fresh lime juice – 2 tablespoon
- Sugar – 2 tablespoon
- Take a blender and all the ingredients into it. Turn it on and blend until you see a smooth texture.
- Take a baking dish that can easily accommodate the whole mixture and freeze it.
- After 1 or 1 ½ hours, open the freezer and check if the mixture starts to freeze. At this point, take a spoon and stir the mixture.
- Repeat it every half an hour for about 3 hours. This will create a classic slushy texture.
The purpose of stirring the mixture is to prevent it from turning into solid ice form.
- Now, you have your watermelon rose granita. Serve it in glasses and garnish with fresh raspberries and lime slices.
We hope you enjoyed learning how to make a slushie at home. The recipes mentioned above are easy and quick. You will surely love the taste of each one. You can also come up with your own recipe. Get creative and have some fun experimenting in the kitchen.
What kind of blender or processor should I use to make slushies?
You can use any type of equipment that is able to crush ice. A simple blender will work, but you need to be very patient so that the slushy comes out good. The Cuisinart food processor is usually more efficient.
Knowledgebase: WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SLURPEE, ICEE, AND A SLUSHY?
How do I know when my slushy is ready?
Place the ingredients in your blender or processor and let it do its magic. Keep on checking it until a slushy has formed. It should take 5 to 10 minutes at most.
Or, if you are using an ice cream maker, then it will also take around 10 minutes to make a slush consistency.
How do I know if my slushy is too sweet?
You can always alter the amount of sugar you put into your slushy, adding more or less as needed to suit your taste. You could also try using less sweetened and more natural juices and flavor drinks (i.e. grape juice, lemonade) to cut down on the sugar content.
What type of fruits can I use to make slushies?
You can use any kind of fruits that you like as long as they’re frozen beforehand. If you are using ice, then it is not necessary to use frozen pieces of fruits.
The fruits may include bananas, oranges, kiwis, and strawberries, depending on the recipe you are making. Also, you can experiment and add chocolate syrup or marshmallows to your slushy.