I promise no eggy flavor, just the cutest decorated lemon poppyseed cupcakes you’ve ever had. If it looks like breakfast food, does that mean we can eat it for breakfast?
Why the heck not? Yolo and stuff.
You’re going to absolutely love these cupcakes because their fluffy and moist filled with delicious lemony flavor. They’re really straightforward to make and, as previously stated, are SO FREAKING CUTE!
Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you use the links. To learn more click here.
Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes
Lemon poppyseed is just an amazing flavor. It’s wonderfully fresh for spring and summer. These cupcakes are topped with a yummy cream cheese frosting and paired with some fresh lemon curd for the “yolk”.
Adorable and delicious.
Make These Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes for Spring and Summer
These are a fun cupcake for all occasions for spring and summer. Brunches, birthdays, and cute little garden parties are fun times to share these.
They’re also an actually completely harmless prank for April Fool’s Day. (I love April Fool’s Day, but if people pull pranks with food, no one is safe. Food is sacred. Don’t mess with my snacks).
But cute cupcakes that look like a fried egg is harmless and still delicious.
Seriously people, there are SO many good, harmless pranks to pull on your friends that don’t involve messing with people’s food. Just why…?
Things You Might Need…
Reusable Piping Bags – don’t be rude to the earth. Disposable piping bags are wasteful, expensive, and no better than the reusable piping bags.
Piping tip set – this piping tip set is perfect for beginners to produce those quality frosted cupcakes.
Reusable Cupcake liners – If you bake a lot and don’t already have these liners, what are you doing with your life?!
This mini frying pan is my new favorite thing. Seriously, aren’t miniature things the best? If you want one too, feel free to get your own mini pan here!
Tips for the Perfect Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes
Make your own lemon curd easily from scratch with this handy dandy recipe here.
Listen, these cupcakes are great. But to truly make them perfect, there are some techniques you’ve got to use.
- Cream your butter and sugar until it is light in color and very fluffy. It’ll seem like its just super crumbly and then all of a sudden it’ll become creamy and smooth. Don’t stop creaming until you reach this point. It is the #1 thing that makes these cupcakes fluffy, light, and airy.
- Gently fold your poppyseeds. Key word is GENTLY. If you’re too aggressive you’ll make sad, flat, and dense cupcakes. I mean they’d still be tasty, but they won’t have that same wow factor.
- Use a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to transfer the batter to your cupcake liners. The batter will be fluffy, so the cookie scoop prevents the batter from deflating.
- To make sure the cupcakes are done, I suggest not using a toothpick. These are soft and moist cupcakes, so the toothpick won’t come out clean until it’s overbaked.
- Touch the tops of the of the cupcakes when the timer goes off. If the tops aren’t sticky and have a nice gentle spring back, they’re ready!
- Don’t stress about your yolks being perfect circles. A lot of eggs don’t have perfectly circular yolks and yet, they’re still perfect.
Small Batch Lemon Poppyseed Egg Cupcakes
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup softened butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 tsp lemon curd
- 1 tsp poppyseeds
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line your muffin tin with your eco-friendly cupcake liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the salt, flour, and baking powder.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream your butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Mix in your egg, vanilla, and milk until combined.
- Slowly add in your flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in your poppyseeds and lemon juice. Fill each cupcake liner ¾ of the way full and bake in the center of the middle rack for 20-23 minutes (or until the tops have set. When you gently touch the tops, they spring back nicely).
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Make The Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine your cream cheese, vanilla, milk, and butter and beat until smooth.
- Slowly add your powdered sugar until completely incorporated and fluffy.
- If you want a stiffer frosting add slowly another to ⅓ cup of powdered sugar.
- Transfer to a piping bag and pipe a circle onto each cupcake. You don't want height so just cover your tops for the "egg yolk". Sprinkle some poppyseeds on top.
- Using a teaspoon place a spoonful of curd to the center of the tops. If you're circles aren't perfect, chill you cupcakes for a couple minutes and use a toothpick to shape the edges.
I want to point out that this recipe does make EIGHT cupcakes despite my photos showing less of them.
While they were cooling my cats stole one and ate half of it before I even noticed. They are tricky little shits. But it got the seal of approval from them….soooo….we’ll work with what we’ve got.
So once you’ve made these super cute lemon poppyseed egg cupcakes, take a pic, post it on the gram and make sure to tag me (@thefulfillmentpill)! I love seeing you creations and really, if you don’t post it on Instagram, did it even happen?
Sharing is caring! Do you know someone who would love this recipe? Share it with them!
Want access to small batch versions of your favorite comforting desserts? Get your FREE copy of The Small Batch Frenzy for all the tasty snacks and up to date baking news.