Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you use the links. To learn more click here.
Cupcakes don’t get easier (or prettier) than this! Jello Poke cupcakes are so easy to make but they never sacrifice some good ol’ cake aesthetic.
So, grab yourself a box of Jello, some white cake mix and prepare to create a delicious treat for someone special’s birthday!
You can definitely use any type of Jello for these poke cupcakes, but I personally used strawberry. It’s summer. It’s hot. So strawberries and cream cupcakes just sounded perfect.
Definitely try making a half pack of blue raspberry and a half pack of strawberry for an awesome 4th of July firecracker look!
Tips for Making the Best Strawberry Jello Poke Cake
- Remove your cupcakes from their reusable silicone cupcake liners before pouring the Jello. Pouring it with the silicone liner on can make the Jello stick too well to the liners and you’ll rip apart your cupcake when you remove it from the cup.
And if your cupcake rips, your heart may feel the pain too.
- Make sure to use white cake. In my personal opinion, yellow cake looks a bit weird with the Jello, so white is the way to go.
- Also, since white cake uses egg whites rather than the whole egg (again to avoid a yellow hue), get yourself a handy dandy egg separator. I use this one all the time and bonus points! It’s also super cute!
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons over the top of your poked holes. Any more than that and you’re going to have a big mess on your hands.
- Normally, I will keep a cake mix box super moist by changing out a few ingredients to fake bakery style goodness. However! I don’t upgrade this box cake mix because the Jello keeps the cake soft and moist.
Any moister and it can easily fall apart.
Let’s Talk Candles!
I really have to tell you guys about these candles because they are just the greatest things in creation!
Honestly, I need to add them to my post on eco-friendly baking products (hey, I’ll get around to it…eventually).
Let Them Eat Candles is an eco-friendly baker’s dream. They’re completely edible (except the wick which burns out in about a minute). The chocolate is delicious and you get an extra treat to celebrate with.
Even better? They’re about the same cost as any fancy birthday candles you would buy with no after party waste!
Loree from LTEC was so sweet to send me some to test out but I have to say, I can’t wait to get more!
(Seriously, I’m obsessed with these bad bois! They’re super cute and more importantly, they’re delicious).
A little tip for when you buy these though! Store them in the fridge until you’re ready to use them. It’s chocolate…it’ll melt if you just leave it hanging out on a cake in 90 degree weather.
And of course don’t light them until you’re ready to sing happy birthday and serve the cupcakes. You’ve got 1 minute. Don’t waste it.
Definitely check out Let Them Eat Candles for all the patterns and candle designs. (If you love the sprinkle ones that I used, definitely get them here, you won’t regret it)!
The only thing that goes better with strawberries than cream is chocolate. Have the best of both worlds with these candles.
Bonus: get yourself come eco-friendly compostable matches. I use them constantly for all my candles (plus then I add them to my compost for a boost of carbon).
Wanna Make this recipe as eco-friendly as possible? Check out these sustainable products you can use for all your cupcakes!
Silicone cupcake liners
Reusable Piping Bags
Piping Tip Set
Kroger Brand White Cake Mix come in completely sustainable packaging. Obviously the box is cardboard as most cake mixes are but the bag inside is paper, not plastic. (When I need cake mix, that’s what I get).
Strawberry Jello Poke Cupcakes
Easy Strawberries + Cream Jello Poke Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix (plus ingredients to prepare)
For the Jello
- 3 oz strawberry Jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 strawberry for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with silicone cupcake liners.
- Prepare your white cake batter according the instructions on the box. Bake according to the instructions and then allow to cool for 30 minutes. Once cool, remove your silicone cupcake liners (if using paper liners, just skip this step).
- Place the cupcakes on a clean baking sheet. Using a fork or a wooden skewer, poke holes into each cupcake.
- Prepare the Jello according to package. Pour 2 tablespoons over each cupcake. (Don't do too much or else the cupcake will be too sticky). Chill in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
Make Your Cream Cheese Frosting
- Whisk your cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add your powdered sugar until smooth and fluffy. Whisk in your vanilla extract. If the frosting is too thick, add ½ tsp of heavy whipping cream until it reaches the consistency you desire.
- Transfer your frosting to a reusable piping bag, pipe on top of each cupcake and enjoy!
Strawberries and cream is always going to be a classic summer flavor. I mean how could it not be? It’s amazing! These strawberry jello poke cupcakes just make that blissful flavor faster and easier!
And once you’ve made these strawberry jello poke cupcakes, take a pic, post it on the gram and make sure to tag me (@thefulfillmentpill)! I love seeing you creations and really, if you don’t post it on Instagram, did it even happen?
(PS make sure to check out Let Them Eat Candles! Seriously, I’m obsessed with these sustainable candles – and not just because I can eat them).
Sharing is caring! Do you know someone who would would love these cupcakes? Share it with them!
See you soon, friends!
Don’t forget to grab your FREE Perfect Cupcake Guide below to bake amazing cupcakes with ease! Trust me, you won’t regret it!