A classic summertime drink gets a sweet twist with this easy lilac lemonade from scratch. Lilac gives your lemonade floral tones with the citrus-y taste we all love. All you’ll need is some homemade lilac syrup, some freshly squeezed lemon juice, and some ice cold water to create this delightfully tangy, sweet refresher.
Summer is the season to spend all your time outdoors, enjoying the fresh air and all the fun that there is to offer. But summer is also the “oh my god, I’m dying of heat” season too.
Your legs stick to plastic seats, you sweat like a fountain, but you’re still determined to enjoy the sunshine before the next 8 months of snow and clouds.
So what’s a girl to do? Well the best way to keep cool (besides finding some shade or a pool) is to cool your insides first…meaning drink something nice and refreshing.
That’s why you’re here today. To discover that easy and refreshing cold drink that makes all the boob sweat worth it.
You’re here for the delightful taste of some ice cold lilac lemonade.
Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you use the links. To learn more click here.
Lilac Lemonade From Scratch
Clean Your Lilacs!
For the love of all that is good in this world, make sure your lilacs are clean and aren’t riddled with pesticides. Trust me, your stomach won’t thank you if you’re ingesting random flowers that have been sprayed by lord knows what.
If you are picking fresh lilacs, make sure you’re getting them from a reputable place. (AKA, from a backyard that you know and trust – like your mom’s, grandma’s, or a friends).
Alternatively, you can get some high quality dried lilac from here. You can easily create the syrup the same way as you would with fresh petals. However I would suggest using a HALF cup of dried flowers instead of a full cup. But to each their own.
To clean them for your syrup, shake off the petals, then submerge them in a bowl of cool water with 2 tbsp of white vinegar for about 5 minutes.
Pat them dry and your ready to start baking.
Tips for the perfect Lemonade
- When you make your lilac syrup, if you are using fresh blossoms, make sure you remove as much of the green part as possible. When heated, the greenery will make it taste bitter, which is obviously not what we’re going for
- Use fresh lemon juice. It really does make a big difference.
- If you prefer a sweeter lemonade, add more lilac syrup or honey to your desired preference.
- Room temperature lemons will juice much better than cold ones.
- There is a hack to heat up your lemons in the microwave to get more juice from them. I DO NOT recommend this as heat the lemons makes them more bitter.
Materials for Your Lilac Lemonade from Scratch
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup lilac petals cleaned, green parts removed.
- 3-7 blueberries (depending how purple you want the syrup)
- 1½ cups lemon juice
- 1½ cup lilac syrup
- 6-8 cups cold water
Make your lilac syrup
- In a medium saucepan, combine your water and sugar. Over medium heat, stir continuously until you sugar has dissolved and the water becomes clear.
- Add your lilacs and blueberries. Allow the mixture to come to a boil. Allow it to boil for 3-4 minutes before removing from heat and straining the syrup into a jar.
- As the syrup cools, it will thicken. Leave in the fridge overnight for best results.
Make your lemonade
- In a large pitcher, combine all ingredients together and stir well. Add some slices of lemon for garnish if you want and/or add ice to keep the drink cold.
- Serve and enjoy!
- *Note* I prefer my lemonade not overly sweet. If you prefer this to be sweeter, add more lilac syrup or honey.
Other Summer Drinks to Try!
Summer is meant to enjoy. But if you live near the furnace of hell and are constantly dying of heat, I’ve got you. Lemonade is a classic summer time drink and it probably has saved us from shriveling up like raisins more than once.
It’s a simple drink for a perfect day.
And once you’ve made some this refreshing lilac lemonade from scratch, take a pic, post it on the gram and make sure to tag me (@thefulfillmentpill)! I love seeing you creations and really, if you don’t post it on Instagram, did it even happen?
*Let us know what you think of this recipe in the comments below!*
Sharing is caring! Do you know someone who would would love this lemonade? Share it with them!
Don’t forget to get your free copy of The Small Batch Frenzy! Seriously, the brownies, cookies, and everything else in here will be almost as delightful as this summery lemonade recipe!
See you soon, friends!