If you are a frequent beachgoer, you will know what sea glass is. But, do you know you can make a candy looking like a sea glass at home? Don’t worry; you can eat it as well. Sea glass candy is an easy-to-make hard candy that you can make with simple ingredients. It is a perfect party favor for a beach-themed party. Everyone’s going to love it. Today, I am going to share its recipe with you.
Edible Sea Glass Candy Recipe
Edible Sea Glass Candy Recipe
- 1¾ cup Granulated sugar
- ½ cup Corn syrup
- ½ cup water
- 1-2 drops Food coloring Drops blue and green will do the trick
- ¼ teaspoon Candy flavoring or food-grade flavor oil
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- Start by lightly spraying a 12-inch pizza pan.
- You will need a saucepan and a candy thermometer for making sea glass candy.
- Grab a medium-sized saucepan and add granulated sugar, corn syrup, and water. Clip the candy thermometer to the side of the pan.
- Turn on the heat and bring the contents to boil, and keep on stirring. Stop stirring once it starts boiling. Let the contents of the saucepan simmer until the temperature reached 300F.
- Once you notice the temperature is 300F, add in the food coloring. Don’t stir or mix the food colors. They will mix and settle down on their own.
- Take the saucepan off the heat. Add the flavoring oil and stir well. Pour the contents of the mixture on the pizza pan without any delays. Please be extremely cautious with the saucepan. It will be burning hot.
- Let the candy cool down. Don’t be in a hurry here. Until the candy gets solid, do not proceed to the next step.
- Now lay some plastic wrap over the candy and strike it down gently with a hammer. Be slow and gentle here. You must break down the candy into medium-sized pieces so that it can be easily consumed.
- You need to coat the candy with powdered sugar now. Divide the candy into 3-4 batches and coat it well in the powdered sugar. Now grab a dish towel to remove the excess sugar and smoothen the sharp edges.
- You can store the candy in airtight containers or zipper bags.
Some Tips and Tools for Making Sea Glass Candy
Candy Thermometer: If you love to make candies at home, you will need a thermometer quite often. This thermometer can also be used for jelly making and deep-frying.
Candy Flavoring: Another important ingredient needed for making sea glass candy or other candies is candy flavoring. I use these flavors, and they are by far better than the rest. If you don’t have your favorite till now, I suggest you try this one.
Molten sugar is dangerously hot. Make sure you take due care while working with it and keep children and pets away. It is best to use gloves while handling it.
Don’t use pans wider or narrower than 12 inches. The mixture will get too thin or too thick, and the texture/taste and look of the candy will be disturbed.
Edible sea glass candy is not your everyday treat. It is a specialty. We suggest you try it once, and you will love to make it a special treat for special occasions.