March of 2020 saw the great toilet paper shortage. Mainly because people starting hoarding it for the impending apocalypse. So now your sitting there with like a kajillion rolls of TP and wondering wtf do I do with all these rolls?
Okay, yeah, you’re probably not thinking that. But if you did happen to panic buy toilet paper, you might as well put it to work and squeeze every last penny out of your purchase to make it seem like it was worth it.
I don’t know about you, but as a woman in her twenties money is…well… not as present in my life as I’d like. Which means I like get every ounce of usefulness out of things that I buy.
(Plus, I like to be eco-friendly, sue me. #wasteless).
Because of being broke and trying to be more environmentally conscious, I decided to share a super easy DIY project to use those toilet paper rolls and turn them into cute little gift card boxes.
You’re literally going to take your trash and turn it into treasure.
Thoughtful things to put in your gift card box
- Gift Cards to their favorite shops and/or restaurants
- Jelly Beans, chocolates, or their other favorite candies
- Hand written love notes
- Tea Bags
- Small souvenirs and trinkets
- Rocks – (I know that sounds lame BUT! people are like crows. We just love shiny shit).
- Shiny shit – refer to point above.
- Mini Lego kit
- Glitter or confetti – but I would highly suggest only doing this to someone you hate. You cannot get rid of glitter. It will last forever, haunting their dreams and every day lives.
Occasions to Give Gift Card Boxes
- Give to guests as wedding favors
- Valentine’s Day
- Halloween – they make fun treat boxes for parties or for kids’ classrooms
- Bar Mitzvah gifts
- Teacher Appreciation Day
- White Elephant Parties
- Additions to an Easter Basket
What You’re Going to Need for Your Gift Card Box
Toilet Paper Rolls
Some Packaging String
And of course the gift card or little presents you want to fill it with.
How to Make Gift Card Boxes
- Take your empty toilet paper roll and flatten it so that it’s a flat rectangle.
- Decorate the tube with washi tape in the pattern of your choosing.
- Pick a side that will be the “bottom” of your box. Fold in each side one on top of the other.
- Fill the box with your gifts. Fold the top closed.
- Optionally, you can use an additional piece of washi tape to secure the openings. (This is a good idea if you’re gifting something small like jewelry or glitter. You don’t want it accidentally fall out).
DIY Gift Card Boxes From Toilet Paper Rolls
- Take your empty toilet paper roll and flatten it so that it's a flat rectangle. Decorate the tube with washi tape in the pattern of your choosing.
- Pick a side that will be the "bottom" of your box. Fold in each side one on top of the other.Fill the box with your gifts. Fold the top closed.
- Optionally, you can use an additional piece of washi tape to secure the openings. (This is a good idea if you're gifting something small like jewelry or glitter. You don't want it accidentally fall out).
If you’re broke, sometimes gift giving becomes just such a frustration. I mean, you buy the gift then you have to buy stuff to wrap the gift all for a person that you may not actually want to give to. (Seriously, how do you get roped into doing the White Elephant exchange every year?)!
Save some cash, save the planet, and save face with these easy and free gift card boxes.
And once you’ve made these cute (and actually useful) toilet paper roll pillow boxes, take a pic, post it on the gram and make sure to tag me (@thefulfillmentpill)! I love seeing you creations and really, if you don’t post it on Instagram, did it even happen?
Want awesome recipes, fresh baking tips, AND a free cookbook of all your favorite comfort desserts? Get it all sent straight to your inbox! Sign up below!
Sharing is caring! Love this project? Share it with everyone you know! (Especially those who you know panic bought too much TP).