Fall can’t start without the scent of baking apples and a fresh slice of apple pie!
Make some cute apple pie cookies to really get into the spirit of the spooky season. They make super cute treats to hand out at parties or to enjoy with friends on a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you use the links. To learn more click here.
Why waste time having to cut slices of pie when you can just eat a cookie instead? These apple pie cookies are little bites of heaven and well worth skipping the pie pan.
Make your own delicious homemade apple pie filling from this post here. It’s amazing and so freaking good you’ll love it and as with most things I make it’s super easy.
Originally, I think I saw these cookies on Preppy Kitchen’s Instagram, and I’ve been thinking about them ever since.
Materials for These Cute Apple Pie Cookies
You can definitely use store bought crust which incidentally is what I did. There’s no shame in store bought pie crust this time of year. Seriously, we’re all busy enough as it is.
But if you’d prefer to make these cookies even better, I suggest making your apple pie filling from scratch with this fancy shmancy recipe here.
Use the pie crust recipe from Baker by Nature. It’s a flaky, simple and an all-butter crust. Seriously, why would I publish my own pie crust recipe when this is the only one I use anyways?!
It’s easy, delicious, and fool proof. And when it comes to pie crust, I’m a fool but I get success every time.
I really love this set of biscuit cutters because it’s perfect for all my circular baking needs. These produce clean lines and store super easily. Plus, since they’re stainless steel, they’re super durable.
I use the largest one for these apple pie cookies which is a 3.25 inch (8cm) cutter.
You need silicone baking mats if you don’t already have like 50 of them. First of all they’re amazing (and eco-friendly). Secondly, they’re ensure that cookies are perfect, don’t stick, and get a nice golden bottom too.
A pizza cutter isn’t completely necessary BUT it’s super useful (and fast) for cutting one pie crust into small strips for your lattice cookie tops.
Tips for the Best Apple Pie Cookies
1. It’s a good idea to mash your apple pie filling a bit so that you don’t have large apple slices. Mini apple pie cookies means that you need smaller apple pie filling pieces.
Use a fork and give them a quick smush before filling your pie crusts.
2. Assemble your cookies on your baking mat lined baking sheet. They’re not easy to move once assembled.
3. After you assemble your cookies, take your biscuit cutter and press it around the cookie again to cut the excess off and “seal” the pie filling in.
4. Brush an egg wash over the tops of your cookies to get that beautiful golden color that you want.
5. Optionally, you can sprinkle sanding sugar on tops of each cookie to make an amazing texture and a little extra dose of sweetness.
To Make the Caramel Filling
A thick caramel filling really takes these apple pie cookies from good to fan-freaking-tastic.
Unwrap your soft caramel candies, add them to a medium saucepan, and add your heavy cream. Over medium heat melt this all together and stir until you have a thick, smooth caramel sauce.
Take a teaspoon of the filling a place it in the middle of each pie crust. Put a tablespoon of the apple pie filling on top and then the lattice top.
When you bake these the cookies will be carmel-y, ooey and gooey that isn’t messy or sloppy. And as they cool, you’ll still have a thick layer of caramel that’s still amazing.
Can’t get enough of this caramel filling?
Yeah, it’s so good and easy. You’ll find that out as soon as you make it. Consider making it again to stuff into some thick and chewy snickerdoodles!
Assemble Your Cookies
Apple Pie Cookies
- 2 cups apple pie filling
- 2 pie crusts
- Course baking sugar optional
- ½ tsp Cinnamon optional
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup soft caramel candies about 200g
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
Make your Apple Pie Cookies
- Roll out your pie crust dough and cut out circles with a 3¼ biscuit cutter. Lay each one on your baking mat about an inch apart.
Prepare your caramel filling
- In small saucepan add your heavy cream and unwrapped caramel candies. Heat over medium heat stirring until the mixture is smooth and melted. Set aside.
Assemble Your Cookies
- Add a teaspoon of the caramel filling in the center of your cookies. Then spoon a tablespoon of apple pie filling on top of that.
- Use a pizza cutter to slice your second pie crust into thin strips. (About ¼ inch wide and 4-5 inches long). Create a lattice top on each pie cookie. Then using the same biscuit cutter trim the excess off each cookie. This will also seal the edges of your mini pie.
- *If your pie crusts don't seal correctly, wet your fingers and press any extra unsealed edges down*
- Brush with an eggwash and sprinkle some course baking sugar (and maybe some cinnamon) on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Enjoy! And store any extra in an airtight container in the fridge.
Find All The Sweet Tooth Satisfaction Over on Our Instagram!
Related Fall Recipes
Can fall really even happen without a good apple pie?
(The answer is no by the way).
These apple pie cookies are an amazing way to enjoy an apple pie without ever have to cut into a full pie. Because we’re all a bit lazy sometimes, right?
So once you’ve made these tasty apple pie cookies, make sure you take a picture, post it on Instagram, and make sure to tag me (@thefulfillmentpill)! I love seeing you creations and really, if you don’t post it on Instagram, did it even happen?
And of course, check out all of our other fall recipes as well to keep that sweet tooth satisfied!
Sharing is caring! Do you know someone who would needs this amazing cookie recipe? Share it with them!
See you soon, friends!
Don’t forget to get your free copy of The Small Batch Frenzy! Seriously, the brownies, cookies, and everything else in here turns a bad day great and a great day even greater!