If you’re anything like me, you’re obsessed with your pets. They’re sweet, loving, completely adorable and often a pain in the ass. We love them with all of our heart and spoil them constantly because they’re #worthit. So the question is, how do you celebrate their adoption day? Because they’re family, you should probably celebrate with a pup cake made just for them.
Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links. This means that at no extra cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you use the links. To learn more click here.Jump to Recipe
I’ll be honest with you, Cindy Lou Who (my lab mix) eats everything and anything. And that’s not an exaggeration. A few Christmases ago she straight up ate a light bulb off our string of lights. (Ps it passed with no trouble, don’t worry). So I could’ve made her cake from anything and she would have loved it.
However! I thought I should actually put some thought into this bad boi so that I could share this cake with all of you for your pups to enjoy too. Therefore, we stuck with some of the classic favorites of our doggy friends. There’s no added refined sugar and nothing to hard on their stomach so your pup should be able to enjoy this deliciousness with minimal weird-looking potty breaks (if you know what I mean).
What’s in this adoption day cake?
Short answer? All the good stuff. We’ve got bacon and bacon grease inside the cake and making a beautiful cake topper. Fun fact for you: a little bit of bacon grease actually is pretty good for your pup’s coat. It keeps it shiny and less dandruff-y. But more than a little bit of bacon grease will just make them fat so don’t get excessive. 😂
Then we added 100% pure pumpkin, applesauce, and of course peanut butter. It’s the trifecta of dog flavors. I guess cheese is another big flavor in the dog world but that seemed like a bit much for this cake.
Anywho, make sure your applesauce is unsweetened and plain (no cinnamon goodness) or else you may end up with those frequent potty breaks for Spot.
Honey is the main sweetener I used because it also helped hold it all together pretty well. Since it’s already predigested by bees, it makes it easier for your dog (and us humans) to process!
I used regular all purpose flour because as I said Cindy Lou has a stomach of steel. If your pup has a more sensitive tum, I would suggest trying unbleached, whole wheat flour. With less processing, it’s normally gentler on them.
Finally, the frosting is where the only sugar I added comes in. Adding a half cup of powdered sugar was strictly because I wanted the frosting to be fluffier so I didn’t feel like I had to make as much. You can 100% skip it, but I would whip the heck out of the cream cheese so it can cover your whole cake.
Check Yo’ Peanut Butter!
Xylitol is a super common artificial sweetener in peanut butter. It also is super deadly to your pup. (I’m talking fast liver failure and a super sad, very expensive trip your vet).
Normal peanut butter is A-okay for your doggo and probably one of their favorite snacks. So before you make this cake, check the ingredients on the back. This cake is meant to celebrate your best friend’s adoption day…not kill them.
I love Adam’s Natural Peanut Butter because it’s simple. It’s made with peanuts and salt. Period. End of story. It’s a great peanut butter for cooking or when you’re like me and try to east less sugar but love peanut butter on everything. Also, since it’s so simple its PERFECT for your adoption day pup cake!
Adoption Day Layered Pup Cake
- 1 cup 100% pumpkin
- ½ cup applesauce (plain, unsweetened)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ cup Peanut Butter (without xylitol)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp bacon grease
- ¼ tsp salt
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup peanut butter without xylitol!
- Bake your bacon at 425° for 15 minutes in your preheated over
- Once finished with the bacon, decrease your oven temperature to 350° and grease 2 round cake pans. Set aside.
- Mix the pumpkin, applesauce, honey, and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the eggs and stir until just combined.
- Add in the flour, salt, and baking soda plus 3 pieces of chopped bacon. And mix.
- Pour half of the batter into each pan and bake for 16-18 minutes. If you stick a toothpick in the cake, it should come out clean.
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- While your cake bakes, add the peanut butter and cream cheese to the bowl of your stand mixer and beat them on high until smooth and well combined
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and beat for an additional 5 minutes to make it fluffier.
- Once the layers have cooked, allow them to cool in their pans for about 5-10 minutes. Then remover the 2 and allow them to finish cooling.
- Put a layer of frosting on one of the cake layers and stack the second on top of it. Spread the rest of the frosting over the whole cake.
- With the other 3 strips of bacon, break them in half and stick them in the top of the cake (Like you would a candle). Alternatively, you can crumble the pieces up for an artsy effect on top of the cake.
- Slice your cake and serve to your best friend.
It’s no doubt that our pets are our life. Idk about you, but I’d die for my animals. Celebrating them on their special adoption day just seems like the best and most obvious thing to do.
Made this cake? Share it on the Gram and tag @thefulfillmentpill in it! I’ll give you a nice little shout out because I absolutely love seeing your creations! Bonus points to you if you include your pup in your photos!
And finally! Let me know in the comments when your fur baby’s adoption day is! I love hearing about your guy’s pets!